[tlhIngan Hol] *-moH* with verbs of state / quality

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 17 07:08:22 PST 2021

On 11/17/2021 9:49 AM, luis.chaparro at web.de wrote:
> Thanks again to both of you for the detailed discussion! I will try to summerize it (for beginners like me:-)  Please tell me if I'm right:
>
> 1. We can use *-moH* or *-choHmoH* depending on wether we want to express or focus on the end result (*-moH*) or the change (*-choHmoH*) someone or something is causing.

I wasn't stating a general rule; I was analyzing a specific sentence.
Not all verbs will see a difference between an end result or a change.
For instance, if I say *tlhIngan Hol vIghojmoH*/I teach Klingon,/ I'm
not focusing on an end result; I am just talking about an existing
action. If I say *tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoHmoH* /I start teaching
Klingon,/ I am talking about the beginning of an action.

Don't look for a formulaic interpretation of combinations of suffixes.
Analyze each verb as you find it.

>   If someone wants to cook and her / his hands are really dirty, I'll probably be interested on emphasize that I want her / his hands to*become*  clean, so I'll likely use *-choHmoH*. If I just recommend someone to be*generally*  clean, I'll likely use *-moH*.

Or if you want to recommend someone maintain a regular cleaning regimen
(*Hoch jaj nuHlIj yISay'moH*/Clean your weapon every day/). Or if you
just want to explain how something becomes clean without describing the
transition of going from dirty to clean (*raS DaSay'moHmeH, taSvam
yIlo'*/Use this solution to clean the table/). There are lots of uses
for *-moH* with or without *-choH,* and you have to figure them out as
needed. Don't try to come up with a simple formula to follow.