[tlhIngan Hol] *moH* with verbs of state / quality

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Nov 15 14:14:39 PST 2021

This is an American joke. A woman who gets asked out on a date and doesn’t want to go with that person might say, “I can’t go to the dance with you. I need to wash my hair.”

In other words, it is such a ridiculous reason to not go to a dance, it’s obvious that the REAL reason is, you don’t want to go to the dance with the person who asked you.

This fits SuStel’s interpretation because it doesn’t matter whether the hair is clean or dirty. Maybe there’s a change from being dirty. Maybe there isn’t. You need to wash it so you don’t have to go out with the person who asked you. It’s even better if you imply that washing it would not cause it to be any cleaner than it already is.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)