[tlhIngan Hol] *moH* with verbs of state / quality

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Nov 15 09:51:47 PST 2021

On 11/15/2021 12:45 PM, luis.chaparro at web.de wrote:
> In TKD we read:*Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam*. Is it not possible just to say:*Du'IHmoH mIvvam*? When should we use *-choHmoH* and when only *-moH*?

*-choH* is used to indicate a change of state occurring. Without *-choH*
(or a verb whose meaning includes the concept of a change), no change of
state occurs.

*Du'IHmoH mIvvam.
*You look beautiful, and the reason is this helmet that you're wearing.

*Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam.
*You began to look beautiful when you put this helmet on.

(Those are not translations, just descriptions of how these sentences
are used.)

People are often confused because the translation of *-moH* as /make/
tends to seem to imply that something has changed, but this is not the
case. *-moH* indicates that the subject is the cause of the action, not
that the subject has just caused the action to begin or change.

*choQuchmoH
*I am happy, and it's because of you.

*choQuchchoHmoH
*You make me go from unhappy to happy.