[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QIt

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Nov 8 07:57:44 PST 2021

On 11/8/2021 10:29 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> I assume that charghwI’ was responding to this post when Marc Okrand
> was asked how to say "a fast ship":
>
> (MO, qepHom 2012 [via Lieven 11/22/2012]):  Maltz was unaware of an
> adjective meaning “fast” (or “slow” for that matter). He said in
> Klingon you wouldn't say that something is fast - you'd say it moves
> fast. So instead of “You have a fast ship”, you could say {nom leng
> DujlIj} “Your ship travels fast” or {nom leng Duj Daghajbogh} “The
> ship that you have travels fast.” If “your fast ship” is supposed to
> be the subject or object of a sentence, you say something like {tInqu'
> nom lengbogh DujlIj} “Your ship that travels fast is very big” (or,
> less literally, “Your fast ship is very big”) or {nom lengbogh DujlIj
> vIlegh} “I see your ship that travels fast” (or “I see your fast ship”).
>
> Presumably this method works for slow ships as well.  <g>

I didn't remember this bit of canon, but this was going to be my
response as well. The only time the lack of a verb for /be fast/ is a
problem is when you want to compare speeds — *nom leng*/travel fast/
doesn't fit into the Q of a comparative. But otherwise, there is really
no issue here. A /fast ship/ is a *nom lengbogh Duj* or a *nom vIHbogh
Duj.* To say /That ship is fast,/ say *nom leng Dujvetlh* or *nom vIH
Dujvetlh* or something like that. And the verb you attach *nom* to
doesn't have to be *leng* or *vIH.* You could say *nom nIn natlhbogh
QuQ*/gas-guzzling engine/ and *nom bumbogh nav va'chum*/fast-absorbing
paper towel/ *(nom woHbogh woHwI'!).*

And of course it works for /slow/ as well. In fact, it works for most
adverbials.