[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QIt

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 8 07:29:54 PST 2021

cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong.  QIt yIghoS!
Slow to one quarter impulse power.  (ST5)

QIt ghaHvaD yIn Hegh je vIghojmoH ‘ej ‘oy’ SIQ ghaH
And teach him life and death, the slow and painful way! (PB)

I assume that charghwI’ was responding to this post when Marc Okrand was asked how to say "a fast ship":

(MO, qepHom 2012 [via Lieven 11/22/2012]):  Maltz was unaware of an adjective meaning “fast” (or “slow” for that matter). He said in Klingon you wouldn't say that something is fast - you'd say it moves fast. So instead of “You have a fast ship”, you could say {nom leng DujlIj} “Your ship travels fast” or {nom leng Duj Daghajbogh} “The ship that you have travels fast.” If “your fast ship” is supposed to be the subject or object of a sentence, you say something like {tInqu' nom lengbogh DujlIj} “Your ship that travels fast is very big” (or, less literally, “Your fast ship is very big”) or {nom lengbogh DujlIj vIlegh} “I see your ship that travels fast” (or “I see your fast ship”).

Presumably this method works for slow ships as well.  <g>

[ For some reason I don’t receive charghwI’’s posts in my tlhIngan-hol feed;  all I see are the bits other people quote in their replies.  Anyone have any idea how I can correct this?  I’ve tried adding his email address to my approved-sender list without effect. ]

SEE ALSO:
nom                      fast, quickly (adv)
tugh                      soon
Do                         velocity, speed (n)

One awkward work-around for “slow” might be {Doy'} “be tired” (i.e. for “be sluggish”).

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last

From: tlhIngan-Hol On Behalf Of mayqel qunen'oS

charghwI':
> The absence of an adjective/stative verb for “be fast” or “be slow”. The awkward
> work-arounds for this are absurd, given the scope of the rest of the vocabulary,
> and given how long Klingons have been exposed to alien languages, surely they
> would have come up with words for this.

Couldn't agree more.