[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "unguent"

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Nov 4 20:11:03 PDT 2021

Man, that’s familiar.

My wife, who is “better read” than me and probably has a wider vocabulary than I do often says things like, “Could you get me the thing from the place under the stuff in the closet?” to which I start off by asking which closet, what stuff, and what thing?

But in this case with the word “unguent", I got no context. Just that the word he was looking for was “unguent”, followed by a word search for something in the vocabulary which would plug in to replace that word.

The first idea I had was to suggest that instead of searching for a word that might not be there, describe the thing you need to express. Then, as I read more of what he wrote, I wondered about the context. Either of two cases might exist:

1. Context makes it obvious that “medicine” would come in the form of ointment. In that case the word “medicine” would be enough.

2. Within the context of the English expression, maybe “unguent” was remarkably more specific than it needed to be. In that case, the word “medicine” would be enough.

So, seeing two different cases where “medicine” might be enough, I thought it might be worth mentioning the option. I wasn’t saying that I know that “medicine” is enough. I obviously don’t know the context. He does. So I honestly wanted to know if the context might be satisfied by the word “medicine” potentially two different ways. I was trying to be concise (not my superpower).

If, indeed, the word “medicine” is not specific enough for the expression, and more specificity as to the type of medicine really is important here, then all he has to do is provide a little context and I’d probably go back to “Since we don’t seem to have a single word that says what you need to say, instead of looking for something like “cream” to drop in to the translation and pretending that that works, you should describe the stuff that you need to convey the original message."