[tlhIngan Hol] {-vaD} "for the benefit of"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 2 06:13:52 PDT 2021

On 11/2/2021 2:01 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 02.11.2021 um 04:57 schrieb Scott D. Randel:
>> I have asked several people where they learned that meaning, and all
>> they could tell me was that they read or heard that definition long ago.
>> TKD does not use that wording. Does anybody here translate it this way,
>> and if so, do you know where you learned that definition?
>
> I guess it is derived from the word benificiary, which TKD really uses.
>
> “This suffix indicates that the noun to which it is attached is in some
> way the beneficiary of the action, the person or thing for whom or for
> which the activity occurs.”
>
> I'm not sure if there is a difference between "beneficiary of" and
> "benefit of".

And in that quotation is a definition of the word. A beneficiary is a
person or thing that receives a benefit.

*Qu'vaD lI' De'vam*/This information is useful for the mission./ The
mission receives the benefit of the information's usefulness.

*SoSDajvaD HaDqu' be'Hom*/The girl studies hard for her mother./ The
mother receives the benefit of knowing the girl is trying to do well in
her studies.

*qama'vaD taj nob 'avwI'*/The guard gives the prisoner a knife./ The
prisoner receives the benefit of possessing an object. This particular
use also maps onto the concept of indirect object, and is described in
the addendum to TKD as thus.