[tlhIngan Hol] two -bogh clauses on a noun without being joined by 'ej

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Mar 8 08:46:05 PST 2021

If you’ve ever listened to anybody sing this, you get clear emphasis on alternating syllables (using case for emphasis, not for the normal Romanized alphabet):

YOHbogh MATLHbogh JE suvWI’

The poetic rhythm would definitely suffer, were it:

YOHbogh ‘EJ matlhBOGH SuvWI’

The two verbs deserve a symmetrical treatment in terms of emphasis, with the verb roots getting the emphasis and the suffixes not emphasized.

As for {SuvwI’}, I’d guess it might be a question of interpretation as to whether to hold the emphatic pattern or break it to emphasize {Suv} as a form of poetic punctuation to end the line. I’d personally prefer:

YOHbogh MATLHbogh JE SUVwi’

I could march to that.

I say this, stunned by the realization that I’m actually commenting on Klingon poetry as if I had a clue how it worked. This is just a gut feeling with zero authority.

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)