[tlhIngan Hol] is 'op and 'op-noun construction singular or plural

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 22:28:00 PST 2021

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 at 22:48, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 3/4/2021 4:35 PM, Will Martin wrote:
>
> To be honest, I think the more interesting question is whether {pagh} is singular or plural.
>
> It's singular.
>
> *pa'vo' pagh leghlu'** The room has no view.* (CK)
> If *pagh* were plural, the verb would be *luleghlu'.*
>
> *SaqSubDaq pagh Qoylu'** In the Saq'sub all is quiet* (paq'batlh)
> Not *luQoylu'.*
>
> *SanDaj SaH pagh** [And] no one cared about its fate.* (paq'batlh)
> *SanDaj* is definitely singular here (the earth's [ground's] fate), and
> it isn't *luSaH.*
>
> *qeylIS lIjlaHbogh pagh** Kahless the unforgettable* (paq'batlh)
> Not *lulIjlaHbogh.*

These examples are of the noun {pagh} meaning "nothing, none" and not of
the number {pagh} meaning "zero", which is what he's asking about. I think
you're right that they're the same word and have the same grammar with
regards to its plurality. But it's also possible that it works differently
as a number when used for counting.

The only instance I can think of where the number {pagh} precedes a noun to
count it is {Dal pagh jagh}, but the prefix doesn't tell us whether {pagh
jagh} is singular or plural.

--
De'vID