[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIng

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 1 10:08:55 PST 2021

On 3/1/2021 11:47 AM, De'vID wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 18:30, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu
> <mailto:sboozer at uchicago.edu>> wrote:
>
>     'amerI'qa' ‘ev chan ‘ev                 North America (GN) (qepHom
>     2016)
>     'amerI'qa' tIng chan tIng       South America (GN) (qepHom 2016)
>

> I don't recall if anyone has pointed this out before, but does anyone
> else find these backwards? Why isn't it {'ev chan 'ev 'amerI'qa'} and
> {tIng chan tIng 'amerI'qa'}? I'm probably just forgetting some rule
> that applies only to the compass directions.

In the post introducing the direction words, Okrand describes the words
as meaning /area in the direction of./ He mostly uses it to mean
something like "area to the east beyond the named noun," and so forth,
but he also uses it to mean "eastern portion of the named noun," and so
on. He gives us *veng chan yoS,* which he translates literally as
/city's area-eastward district,/ and he says this mean /the eastern part
of the city./ It doesn't mean a district beyond the eastern edge of the
city.

So *'amerI'qa' 'ev chan 'ev* can refer to the portion of America that is
northward, rather than the area beyond America to the north in the same
way that *veng chan* can refer to the eastern portion of the city. And
so on.