[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIng

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Mar 1 09:46:04 PST 2021

On Mar 1, 2021, at 11:48 AM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 18:30, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:
>> 'amerI'qa' ‘ev chan ‘ev                 North America (GN) (qepHom 2016)
>> 'amerI'qa' tIng chan tIng       South America (GN) (qepHom 2016)
>

> I don't recall if anyone has pointed this out before, but does anyone else find these backwards? Why isn't it {'ev chan 'ev 'amerI'qa'} and {tIng chan tIng 'amerI'qa'}? I'm probably just forgetting some rule that applies only to the compass directions.

“America” by itself refers to the connected landmasses of both North and South America. North America is the north region of America, and South America is the south region of America. The alternatives you ask about would mean “America of the North” and “America of the South”.

> I wonder how a Klingon would then render "the American South" (i.e., the southern United States, a geographic and cultural region to the south of the country)? Ditto "the American North".

The name of the country is {SepjIjQa'}, so {SepjIjQa' tIng chan tIng} works the same way: the south region of the United States.

— ghunchu'wI'