[tlhIngan Hol] meaning of the verbs {tob} and {Daj}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 08:54:03 PDT 2021

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 at 16:42, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> My hunch is that {tob} could mean "test positive" as in "The patient
> tested positive for the COVID-19 virus" though I'm not sure of the exact
> phrasing.  Something like {SID luchov Qelpu'; qo'vID wa'maH Hut javtIm
> toblu'} perhaps?

I'm not so sure about that. Given that the canon usages of this verb have
as its object {quv}, {toDuj}, and {yoH 'e'}, it seems that the verb is
about putting someone or something to the test, to conclusively demonstrate
that it has some given characteristic (the object). I'm more inclined to
believe that it might be used for a vaccine: {HutmaH Hut vatlhvI' Qap
javtIm raS'IS 'e' toblu'pu'} "the vaccine has been proven 99% effective".

--
De'vID