[tlhIngan Hol] meaning of the verbs {tob} and {Daj}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 25 08:05:59 PDT 2021

On 6/25/2021 11:00 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> > chov    assess,  evaluate,  test (v)
> > luchovmeH 'oy'naQmey lo'
> > [Warriors] who test him with painstiks. S9
> > tlhIngan wo' yuQmey chovlu'chugh
> > Qo'noS potlh law' Hoch potlh puS.
> > The principal planet of the Klingon
> > Empire, Qo'noS... S27
>
> These are very interesting examples with regards to the verb {chov}.
>
> I don't know why, but I was under the impression that the {chov} is
> used only to say things like {juH vIchov} as in "I evaluate the house"
> as in "I asign a price".
>
> However, this now raises the question; can we indeed use the {chov} to
> say things like "I calculate the price of something"?

No. Evaluation is not the same as calculation. Evaluation is a judgment
based on evidence. A calculation is a computation. There is some
overlap, but they don't mean the same thing.

*SuvwI' Duj vIchov*/I evaluate the warrior's ship/ (Is it good? What are
its capabilities? Can it defeat a starship in battle?)
*SuvwI' Duj Do vISIm*/I calculate the warrior's ship's velocity/ (and
come up with a number like a warp factor)