[tlhIngan Hol] meaning of the verbs {tob} and {Daj}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 25 06:00:02 PDT 2021

On 6/25/2021 8:18 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> I think I just realized that years now, I understand wrongly the verbs
> {tob} and {Daj}. But before I start, just to be on the same page (as
> americans say), here are the definitions:
>
> tob (v) test conclusively, prove
> Daj (v) test inconclusively
>
> Suppose I write the following sentences:
>
> nger vItobpu'
> nger vIDajpu'
>
> Years now, I thought that the {nger vItobpu'} means "I proved that the
> theory is correct", and that the {nger vIDajpu'} means "I proved that
> the theory is wrong".
>
> But now I realized that the meanings are rather the folllowing:
>
> nger vItobpu'
> I tested conclusively the theory
>
> (I say that I tested it thoroughly, but without this meaning that the
> theory is necessarily correct; after the "testing" finished, perhaps
> the conclusion was that the theory was perfectly wrong)
>
> nger vIDajpu'
> I tested inconclusively the theory
>
> (I just say that I didn't thoroughly test the theory; it may be a
> valid theory, or it may be a wrong one, but the "testing" wasn't
> thorough/effective enough to come to definite conclusion)
>
> Is my understanding correct?

Mostly. I think the word /prove/ in the gloss suggests that *tob*
implies not only that the test was conclusive, but that it was also
positive. If you *tob* something, you conclusively show that it is
correct. To test something conclusively and show that it is wrong, use
*tobHa'*/disprove./

*nger vItobpu'*//I tested the theory and showed conclusively that it is
correct.
*nger vItobHa'pu'* I tested the theory and showed conclusively that it
is incorrect.
*nger vIDajpu'* I tested the theory but was unable to conclusively show
its validity.