[tlhIngan Hol] maS'e' loQ So'be'bogh QIb

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 11 06:52:19 PDT 2021

On 6/11/2021 9:38 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> But in any case, the whole point here is that in English, we have the
> noun phrase “Crescent Moon”, sometimes referred to as “The Moon in
> Crescent”, while in Klingon, we have the fossilized Relative Clause
> {maS’e’ loQ So’be’bogh QIb} to have that same meaning.

I'm sorry, how did you determine that *maS'e' loQ So'be'bogh QIb* is a
fossilized phrase? I mean, it might be, but what evidence supports that
determination?

Context:

*nuH'e' qengbogh mangghomvam
     luDel 'e' ra' molor
     lujang maS'e' loQ So'be'bogh QIb lurur*

/Molor asks them
     What weapons this army carries,
     They reply, shaped as the crescent moon.
/

(Honestly, I find the other things happening in this stanza to be more
interesting. *jang* is back to being a verb of saying. *ra'* is clearly
not one, and is translated (from) /ask./ The *lu-* in *luDel* is
apparently an error, unless the text is considering *nuH* as a singular
class of weapons rather than plural weapons, which would make *nuH* more
complicated than we knew or would introduce a new "class" interpretation
of nouns.)
//