[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "turn on the lights" and electricity terms

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 22 08:20:39 PDT 2021

Both are devices on a ship:  the (electrical) power generator (i.e. {HoS lIngwI'}) and the artificial gravity generator (i.e. *{tlham liIngwI'} perhaps).  Other known {lIngwI'mey} are {pIvchem lIngwI'} "warp field generator" and {pIvghor lIngwI'} "warp generator".

To re-activate the gravity, we have an example:

  Duj tlham chu'qa'
  Restoring auxiliary gravity. ST6

As for how to say "the electricity has been deactivated" more colloquially in English... if done intentionally you can say "the power has been cut".  If over a large area in a city (especially to conserve power), "There's a black-out."  If the electricity goes off for unknown reasons (say during a hurricane), "There's been a power failure". For very localized contexts I've heard, "The power's off on the second floor".

--
Voragh