[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'ampaS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 21 08:21:52 PDT 2021

Klingon word:	'ampaS
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	academy, specialized school
Source: 	KGT

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(HQ 4.4:11):  The most general word for school (a place for learning) is {DuSaQ}.  A specialized school, perhaps translatable as academy", is {'ampaS}.  An organization dedicated to scholastic pursuits or research is a {yejHaD} "institute" or "institution" or a {yej'an} "society".  The distinction between {yejHaD} and {yej'an} is not clear, though the former is usually--but not always--used for larger organizations.

TREK TRIVIA:
  "K'mtar" wanted to send young Alexander to the training academy at Ogat to improve his fighting skills; apparently Kurn could pull some strings to get him admitted. (TNG "Firstborn")

PUN:
A.M.P.A.S. (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences)

SEE:
Qoyje' 			certificate, diploma (n)
ghoj 			learn (v)
HaD  			study (v)
Qul 			research (v)

SEE ALSO:
*DuSaQ'a'		university (n) (non-canon)
*'ejyo' 'ampaS 		Starfleet Academy (n) (non-canon)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen