[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 1 08:26:37 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	naD
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	praise, commend, approve

pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
Glory to you and your house.
("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly")  (KGT)

tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Datoy'mo' pInaD
Because you serve the Klingon Language Institute, we commend
   you. (1999 "Friend of Maltz" certificate)

quvmo' Hegh Hegh yInaD
Celebrate death, for it is honorable (PB, introduction)

qeylIS vanchu'lu' 'ej naDchu'lu'
Kahless was given a hero's welcome. (PB)

GRAMMAR NOTES:
(st.k 3/02/1998):  {naDHa'} "discommend" is listed [in TKD] due to its importance in Klingon culture, though {naDbe'} "not commend" is a properly formed word.

CULTURE NOTES:
(KGT 77):  A {van bom}, literally "salute song" or "tribute song", is something like a hymn or anthem … in that it is sung at occasions where it is appropriate to express one's feelings of loyalty and dedication to someone or something. Most typically, a {van bom} praises the Klingon Empire itself, often invoking its founder, Kahless.

SEE:
naD  		commendation (n)
naD tetlh  	Commendation List (n)
naDwI'  		one who praises (n) (KGT)

naDHa'  	discommend, disapprove (of) (v)
naDHa'ghach  	discommendation (n)

naDqa'  	commend again, recommend (v)
naDqa'ghach  	recommendation (n)

SEE ALSO:
Ho' 		admire (v)
Hoy' 		congratulate (v)
quvmoH 	honor (v)
vuv 		respect (v)
van  		salute; bow before (PB) (v)
yI' 		speak in an honorable or respectful fashion (v)

tIch		insult (v)
maw 		offend (v)
vaq 		mock, taunt (v)
ghong 		abuse (v)
tuHmoH	shame (v)
quvHa'moH 	dishonor (v)
web 		be disgraced (v)

quv		[personal] honor (n)
pop		reward;  bounty (n)
tlhoqtlhal 	favor (n)
van  		salute, tribute (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen