[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the verb {nI'}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 1 07:25:32 PDT 2021

Although they don’t really add to SuStel’s explanation, here are more examples of {nI’} "be long, lengthy (duration)" FYI:

   nI' DaHjaj
   Today is long. (st.k 6/29/1997)

   nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
   Our lives burn short and bright. (Anthem)
   Qobbogh may' nI'
   long and dangerous battle (PB) [Does anyone have the full verse + translation?]

When wondering about verbs, also check how the antonym (if any) is used.  Examples of {ngaj} “be short (in duration)” :

   ngaj ram
   the night is short  (KGT)

   DaHjaj ngab wa' rep.  ngajmo' jajvam, nom bIlopnIS
   [untranslated] (MO to Lieven regarding Daylight Savings Time, 3/29/2015)

--
Voragh
From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of SuStel