[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: taHqeq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 6 08:08:02 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, January 04, 2021

Klingon word: taHqeq
Part of speech: excl
Definition: (curse) epithet, insult
Source:

taHqeq! taHqeq!  monbogh webbogh taHqeq!  […]
  monlaH ‘ej montaH je taHqeq quvHa’.          (TKH I, 5 [NON-CANON])
O villain, villain, smiling, damnèd villain!  [… ]
  That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain.      (Hamlet I,5)

When Picard failed to convince Governor Vagh that the Federation wasn't supplying weapons to Kriosian rebels, Vagh lost his temper and shouted: "You speak the lies of a *tahkeck*!"  (TNG "The Mind's Eye")

(CK):  If you call someone this, stand back! This is a classic insult.

(Mark Shoulson, HQ 3.1):  This is someone you really, really don't admire at all, probably epithetical equivalent to {Qu'vatlh}.

(nIqolay, 11/06/2015):  Maltz thinks the word {taHqeq} is related to the expression {bItaHrup'a'} "Do you want to continue?", which is used defiantly before escalating an argument to the next level (punches or curse warfare).

(De’vID, 7/12/2019):  I once heard a theory that the insult {taHqeq} originates from {[yI]qeqtaH} in {no' Hol}, i.e., you're insulting your enemy by saying that they'll have to train a lot more before they can best you.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen