[tlhIngan Hol] law'/puS scope brief conclusion

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Feb 14 06:04:31 PST 2021

It’s an idiom, like, “They looked at me like I was a red-headed step-child.”

The English response, “How about that,” is reportedly impossible to translate, meaningfully. I can’t even tell if it is a statement or a question, and English is my primary language.

We don’t know what {reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law’ Hoch tuj puS} means to a Klingon. We know when and how it is used, and we can translate the words, but the English translation of the Klingon words doesn’t convey the meaning that a Klingon gets from those words.

It’s an example of the deep connection between language and culture. Much of the time, you can translate stuff from one language to another without needing a deep understanding of the underlying culture, but “replacement proverbs” is not one of those areas. They are fossilized things that you say without thinking in response to a situation.

You can’t change it, trying to be clever and point to someone and say, {DaH qabDajDaq qul tuj law’ Hoch qul puS} without getting some strange, distrusting looks from the Klingons near you, since you would be revealing just how alien you are, and how ignorant you are of Klingon culture.

Sent from my iPad