[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tarngeb

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Feb 3 12:19:27 PST 2021

I’m teased by the “long ‘o’” suggested by {gho-nI’}, wondering if that could be a sound, or if there were some symbolic issues relating to an oval (a long circle).

The special stuff about Tungsten is that it’s about as heavy as gold (and so is sometimes used in jewelry with gold coating to fake being pure gold) and it has the highest melting and vaporizing temperature of any metal. It was used in the filaments of incandescent lightbulbs, and is used for ballast in race cars and other settings where lead just isn’t dense enough to pack enough weight into a small volume. It apparently works great for armor piercing ammunition.

So what does that have to do with long ohs or long circles? And what does it have to do with tar, rat, or poison?

I’m definitely not getting any traction here, though the clues are too obvious, even as their references are mysterious.

The other name for it is Wolfram, hence the chemical symbol “W”, which is also the name of a scientific search engine. If you use the app “WolframAlpha” on an iPhone to look up “tungsten”, it pulls up an image of a spiraling filament with its ends hooked form a circle.

No traction.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.