[tlhIngan Hol] Hoch in noun-noun constructions

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 08:12:45 PST 2021

Desperately trying to regain the things I new, before the two months lack of practice, I re-studied the way {Hoch} is to be understood in noun-noun constructions.

And I found the following quite interesting Ca'Non sentences.. Read:

QaptaHvIS So'wI', Hoch jagh Dujmey DaQotlh.

Disable all enemy ships while cloaked. (MKE)

Hoch Holmey mughwI' vIwIv 'e' DapIH'a'

Did you expect me to choose the Universal Translator? (ASM)

In the MKE sentence, we notice that the {Hoch jagh Dujmey} is translated as "all enemy ships" instead of "the ships of each enemy", which shows that the {Hoch} can act on the entirety of a following noun-noun construction.

On the other ghop though..

In the ASM sentence (I've no jay' idea what "ASM" stands for, nor do I give a crap), the {Hoch Holmey mughwI'} is meant as "the translator of all languages", and not as "each languages' translator", showing that the {Hoch} can also act only on the noun following it, instead of the third noun of the noun-noun-noun construction.

However, there are two additional Ca'Non sentences which's translations somehow confuse me:

Hoch tlhIngan DujDaq So'wI' jomlu' All Klingon vessels are equipped with a cloaking device (S33)

Hoch tuq, Hoch puq poH

All tribes, all ages (PB)

I can't understand why at the S33 sentence, the {Hoch tlhIngan DujDaq} is given as "all klingon vessels", when it's clearly "each klingon vessel".

And similarly, at the paq'batlh sentence, I can't understand how the {Hoch tuq}/{Hoch puq poH} produce "all tribes"/"all ages" respectively, without a {-mey} existing in any of the nouns of the noun-noun/noun-noun-noun constructions.

~ Dana'an

remain klingon