[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vI'Ir

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 19 07:36:11 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, February 19, 2021

Klingon word: 	vI'Ir
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	tide
Source: 	qep'a' 25  [2018]

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

SEE:
SoD 		flood (n)
marQen 	eddy (in water) (n)
pep’en 		current (in air or water) (n)
bIQ’a’ 		ocean (n)
yu'egh 		wave  (n)
Daqav 		bay, inlet, cove (n)

SEE ALSO:
'eS 		be low (v)
jen 		be high (v)
SoD 		flood (v)
vIH 		move, be in motion (v)
‘ay  		float (in/on a liquid) (v)
rIj  		be moored, anchored (v)
rIjHa’ 		be adrift (v)

APPOSITE QUOTATION (SUITABLE FOR TRANSLATION):

   There is a tide in the affairs of men,
   Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
   Omitted, all the voyage of their life
   Is bound in shallows, and in miseries:
   On such a full sea are we now afloat;
   And we must take the current when it serves,
   Or lose our ventures.
   -- "Julius Caesar" Act IV, Scene 3 (William Shakespeare)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen