[tlhIngan Hol] using chegh without an object

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 18 05:42:40 PST 2021

On 2/18/2021 8:22 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> lieven:
> > Why?
>
> Because of the Ca'Non {lupDujHomDaq jIchegh} "I return on the shuttle".
>
> The {DaH machegh} feels like the {lupDujHomDaq jIchegh} without the
> {lupDujHomDaq} part.
>
> I understand as "now we return on.." and that's it.

*chegh* doesn't mean /return on./ *chegh* imparts a locative sense to
its object. The object of *chegh* is the destination to which you are
returning. Any other locative in the sentence refers to where the
*chegh* is happening, not the destination.

So if Chang's party were returning by shuttlecraft, he could say things like

*DaH lupDujHomDaq may'Duj wIchegh*/We are returning to the battlecruiser
on the shuttlecraft now./

*DaH lupDujHomDaq machegh*/We are returning on the shuttlecraft now./

*DaH may'Duj wIchegh*/We are returning to the battlecruiser now./

Or, in fact, he could say

*DaH machegh*/We are returning now./