[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "they are there"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 17 12:40:08 PST 2021

I couldn't find any examples of a pronoun-as-verb followed by a pronoun, only nouns - as SuStel I believe pointed out - but I did find two comments in my notes which support Lieven's point:

  Okrand communicated privately with members of the KSRP that pronouns (being a subset of nouns) could indeed be used with stative verbs. Thus, {SoH po' law' jIH po' puS} is correct. (HQ 4.2:3)

  "Pronouns may be used as nouns, but only for emphasis or added clarity." (TKD 52)

I agree with him that  {DujDaq maHtaH maH'e'} is legal, especially in a pointed contrast.  E.g.

   may'DujDaq maHtaH maH'e' 'ach tengchaHDaq tlhIHtaH tlhIH'e'.
   It is WE who are in on the battlecruiser; YOU on the other hand
   are on the space station.

While strictly speaking legal, it may well be extremely rare.  In fact, other than {lujpu' jIH'e'} I found only one other example of {-'e} attached to a pronoun (albeit without a pronoun-as-verb) in Vixis's rather panicky warning to Klaa in ST5:

  'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e' !
  But Captain, that course will take *US* into the [Great] Barrier as well!

But rather than argue as to whether it's grammatical, we should ask whether it's acceptable.  This could well be considered a case of {pabHa'} to "misfollow the rules" (discussed in KGT pp. 176-189 passim).

(TKD, introduction):  It should be remembered that even though the rules say "always" and "never," when Klingon is actually spoken these rules are sometimes broken. What the rules represent, in other words, is what Klingon grammarians agree on as the "best" Klingon.

(Okrand, st.k 11/1997):  Speakers who do this seem to be aware that they are breaking the rules, so they are doing it for rhetorical effect.

--
Voragh