[tlhIngan Hol] hard truths about the future

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Wed Dec 22 05:24:29 PST 2021

I agree with you that just knowing how to speak a language doesn't make one an expert.

However, there might be more experts than you think. I don't remember seeing you a lot
in Discord or in weekly meetings (qa'vIn qep, jawmeH qep). I also know people who are
very interested in Klingon, but don't for some reason want to use social media and
only participate in local face-to-face meetings. I just yesterday started using this mailing
list and it seems that people here do not represent the larger community at all.

If a committee was to be created, I also think it should have "non-expert" members who
use the language a lot. There are several groups that I think should have possibility
to influence the language. For example, in the qep'a' the LGBT vocabulary working group
had several members with lower KLCP levels, but they are the people who need that
vocabulary most, so it is fair that they can participate. Another group is non-English
speakers like you and me. I think having people with different mother tongues would
be beneficial for trying to avoid anglicisms and other biases.

I would support some kind of democratic process for electing the committee members.
What I fear the most is that either an outside party like Paramount/CBS decides the fate
of the language, or that a small clique of friends proclaims to be in charge now and the
rest of the community is left without representation. Of course this democratic process
should take in to account the level of expertness.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio
https://klingonia.fi