[tlhIngan Hol] adverbs referring to time stamps

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 9 07:14:11 PST 2021

You’re right; it is ambiguous.  If the day is particularly significant to the speaker, you might tag {DaSjaj} with {-‘e’} to focus on the day (though I don’t remember ever seeing a time stamp so tagged).  Otherwise you should rephrase it:

  Qummaj lunISmeH chIch DaSjaj luwIv romuluSnganpu’
  The Romulans intentionally chose Monday to disrupt our
  communications.

  Qummaj lunISmeH DaSjaj luwIvbej romuluSnganpu’
  The Romulans undoubtedly chose Monday to disrupt our
  communications.

  Qummaj lunISmeH DaSjaj luwIvba’ romuluSnganpu’
  The Romulans obviously chose Monday to disrupt our
  communications.

Or even a combination of the two:

  Qummaj lunISmeH chIch DaSjaj’e’ luwIv romuluSnganpu’
  The Romulans intentionally chose Monday (of all days!) to
  disrupt our communications.

  … et cetera

Voragh
From: tlhIngan-Hol On Behalf Of mayqel qunen'oS

I've never asked about this, and although it seems as a rediculously silly question, I'd like to make certain anyway.

{DaSjaj chIch QummeH laHmaj lunIS romuluSngan}

This sentence has the meaning of "on monday the romulans intentionally scramble our communications" (i.e. their goal is to disrupt our communications, and this happens to take place on monday).

But can it mean too "intentionally on monday the romulans scramble our communications"? Meaning that for whatever reason, they chose the day to be monday when they do the scrambling.