[tlhIngan Hol] hard truths about the future

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Dec 20 06:28:35 PST 2021

On 12/20/2021 8:06 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> People like tolkien and okrand are one in a billion. Literally. They
> have been born with a special gift, a gift which none of us has: the
> ability to create something new.

Fond as I am of Marc Okrand and the Klingon language, he is no Tolkien.
Tolkien didn't just create some conlangs. Tolkien invented some
languages, then invented the complete etymologies of those languages and
the legendary and mythic stories of the peoples who spoke those
languages and the whole world in which they lived, and was constantly
changing the languages to make it more suitable, while incorporating
those changes into the etymologies. His work is astounding, and few have
even come close to the incredible level of detail he did. (Although I
haven't read any of it, I suspect M.A.R. Barker's Tekumel is probably
one of the closest.)

What Okrand made is pleasing and absorbing, but it's not a work of
genius. I don't think our reliance on canon has anything to do with some
innate ability of Okrand that we can't replicate. Rather, we rely on
canon to maintain the fiction that this language is a real one spoken by
aliens on another planet with a real culture and history, because
otherwise we're just a bunch of cringeworthy geeks coughing and spitting
at each other for no good reason. For me, at least, there is an
important imaginative element to Klingon that must not be taken away, or
the whole thing falls down.

The ability of Klingon to survive a transition to a new keeper for
people like us will not depend on someone being able to replicate the
work of a genius. It will depend, rather, on how believably the
fictional reality of Klingon can be maintained in its new context. If
Okrand just says, "Maltz has decided to move to Joe's basement, so Joe
gets to report new Klingon words now" or some such statement, I would
find that ham-handed at best. If authority is granted to a committee to
invent new Klingon words, that would be even worse, since I can imagine
no good way in which a committee of human beings could be connected with
reporting actual Klingon from the fictional universe. I would actually
find it more satisfying to learn that our window into the secondary
world has closed, leaving our canon of Klingon frozen at the current
state, because that would be most believable. But it would be disappointing.