[tlhIngan Hol] adverbs referring to time stamps

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:05:49 PST 2021

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 at 14:33, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've never asked about this, and although it seems as a rediculously silly
> question, I'd like to make certain anyway.
>
> {DaSjaj chIch QummeH laHmaj lunIS romuluSngan}
>
> This sentence has the meaning of "on monday the romulans intentionally
> scramble our communications" (i.e. their goal is to disrupt our
> communications, and this happens to take place on monday).
>
> But can it mean too "intentionally on monday the romulans scramble our
> communications"? Meaning that for whatever reason, they chose the day to be
> monday when they do the scrambling.

I don't think so. Adverbials "describe the manner of the activity", which
in this case is {nIS}. They're intentionally interfering with
something, not intentionally choosing something, in your sentence. If you
want the intentionality to apply to the choice of Monday, I would suggest
something like {chIch DaSjaj luwIvpu'}.

Also, I'm not sure that {QummeH laH} is the right word for "our
communications", if your provided English translation is your intention.
The Klingon says "they interfere with our ability to communicate", which
means something slightly different. For actually "disrupting our
communications", I'd say {jabbI'IDmaj lunIS}.

--
De'vID