[tlhIngan Hol] where the adverb refers and {tlhoS}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Aug 26 11:19:51 PDT 2021

In English, adverbs can modify verbs or adjectives or numbers or nouns.

Verb:
I almost turned blue.

Adjective:
I turned almost blue.

Number:
I walked almost three miles.

Noun:
Only I hit the baby in the head. I hit the only baby in the head. I hit the baby only in the head.

Klingon doesn’t have adverbs. It has “adverbials”. These modify verbs. Their placement in the sentence begins the verb clause (main or dependent) because it is grammatically linked to the verb.

Given this, I could only interpret {vabDot vIghro’ tIQ DagheplaH,} to mean “You’ll even be able to hold the ancient cat.” Maybe Okrand has used it otherwise in canon or maybe he’s explained how an adverbial could apply to a noun, and I’ll once again wince my way through yet another grammatical inconsistency, but from my perspective, rules is rules, and adverbials modify verbs.

This is why we call them adverbials and not “adverbs”.

-charghwI’, retired.