[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngon

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 22 09:27:44 PDT 2021

Am 22.04.2021 um 17:25 schrieb Steven Boozer:
> Klingon word: 	ngon
> Part of speech: 	verb
> Definition: 	bubble
> Source: 	qepHom 2017
>
> (qepHom 2017 p.20):  The verb {ngon}
[...]
> (qepHom 2017 p.20):  The noun {ba'Suq} [...]

Just for accuracy of the notes:

The words {ngon} and {ba'Suq} were both presented as you say at qepHom
2017, p 20. But the explanations you quoted were not there. I'm not
sure, but I believe these were my personal notes I had sent to the
mailing list after talking to Okrand.

This is what was in the booklet:

<<<<
The verb is {ngon}. The noun is {ba'Suq}.

Also... The verb {jo'} means "blow into a container of some kind" in the
sense of "inflate, fill with air, blow up" ("blow up" like to blow up a
balloon, not "explode").

It's used for blowing up a balloon, blowing into a paper bag (so you can
then hit the bag against something so that it explodes with a loud
noise), whatever it is that glass blowers do, and, yes, blow bubbles.

It's not the same as {SuS}, which can also be used for blowing out a
candle. With {SuS} you're blowing into/onto/at something, but the air
gets out of the thing (or never goes in it). With {jo'}, the air is
trapped in the thing and can't come out until you let it out (or the
thing breaks).

The object of both verbs is the thing you blow into/onto/at. If you use
a {-Daq} construction, it implies that you missed – you blew towards the
object, but the air bypassed it.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"