[tlhIngan Hol] two klorns of bloodwine, a bottle of water

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Apr 29 06:35:10 PDT 2021

On 4/29/2021 9:28 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> I agree with the consensus here and just want to point out that unless
> there’s a standard size for a jug, it can’t really be used as a unit
> of measure, so counting them doesn’t make a lot of sense.
>
> {tlho’ren} (klorn) is a unit measure of volume. {bIQ bal} is not.
>
> Of course, with a given context, you could be at a bar pointing to a
> specific {bIQ bal} and say {wej bIQ balvetlh}, but there is no known
> standard size for a {bIQ bal}.

No one is suggesting that a jug is a standard size. *bal* doesn't just
mean /jug; /it also means /jar/ and /bottle./ So peanut butter comes in
a *bal,* as does water from a vending machine. If you're at a bar and
you order *'Iw HIq tebSbogh wej bal,* the bartender isn't going to stop
and puzzle over exactly how much bloodwine to give you. He or she is
going to grab three pitchers and fill them with bloodwine.