[tlhIngan Hol] two klorns of bloodwine, a bottle of water

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Apr 29 06:10:44 PDT 2021

On 4/29/2021 2:47 AM, De'vID wrote:
> This is a question that came up over on the Discord server. I thought
> it would be good to open it up to more opinions and have the
> discussion archived on the mailing list.
>
> How would you say "two klorns of bloodwine"? For example, "I want to
> drink two klorns of bloodwine"?
>
> How would you say "a jug of water" (or "three jugs of water", etc ),
> meaning water served in a water jug. (That is, how would you refer to
> the water in the water jug, and not the jug itself, bearing in mind
> that {bIQ bal} is defined as "water jug" in KGT.)
>
> Can the noun-noun construction (N1-N2 = N2 of the N1) be used here?
>
> (For the sake of the argument, let's say that context alone isn't
> sufficient to distinguish between a jug full of water from an empty
> water jug.)

*bIQ* is a mass noun, so saying *bal bIQ*/jug-water/ would also be a
mass noun. Without special rules, you couldn't make it countable. In
English, water is usually a mass noun, but it can be made countable when
referring to a serving of water, so that you can say /three waters./ I
do not assume you can do that in Klingon without word from Maltz. But
you can certainly say *bal bIQ vItlhutlh vIneH*/I want to drink
jug-water; I want to drink water from a jug./

Otherwise, I'd go for the lengthier, but uncontroversial, *bIQ ngaSbogh
wej bal*/three jugs containing water//water contained in three
jugs,//and *cha' tlho'ren muqbogh 'Iw HIq*/bloodwine having a volume of
two klorns./