[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "one of these people"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Sep 12 12:15:22 PDT 2020

On 9/10/2020 9:38 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> romuluSnganpu' HoHta' wa' nuvpu'vam'e'
> one of these people killed the romulans
>
> lugh'a' mu'tlheghvam ?

Considering further, I think you can pack nearly the entire meaning of
this sentence into:

*romuluSnganpu' HoHta' ngIq nuvvam.
*/A single one of these people killed the Romulans./

*ngIq* signals that the noun is either a single thing considered apart
from others (what we want) or a sequence of similar things all acting in
the same way. The context of whatever story you're telling would make it
clear whether you meant this or /These people, acting one at a time,
killed the Romulans./

But this technique won't work for /two of these people/ and so forth.