[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'orghengan

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 29 08:31:29 PDT 2020

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, October 29, 2020

Klingon word: 'orghengan
Part of speech: noun
Definition: Organian
Source: TKD:K-E

Synonym:  {'orghenya'ngan)

LANGUAGE NOTES:
(KGT 141-2):  A name for the inhabitant of a planet (and, therefore, the name of a race of beings) is formed by adding {ngan} (inhabitant) to the planet name (excluding the number, if any):  {lIghonngan} (Ligonian), {tera'ngan} (Earther, Terran), {romuluSngan} (Romulan). […] Occasionally, and no doubt owing to influence from Federation Standard, from which names, as noted, are often taken, an extra syllable, {-ya'-}, comes between the planet name and {ngan}. Thus, Denebian -- that is, an inhabitant of one of the Deneb planets -- is both {DenIbngan} and {DenIbya'ngan}. The planet name itself is also heard in two forms: {DenIb} (formed from the name Deneb) and {DenIbya'} (formed by dropping the {ngan} from {DenIbya'ngan}).

SEE:
'orghen  		Organia (GN)
'orghenya'  		Organia (GN)
'orghen rojmab		Organian Peace Treaty (n)
'orghenya' rojmab	Organian Peace Treaty (n)

TREK TRIVIA:
  "We Klingons have a reputation for ruthlessness. You will find that it is deserved. Should one Klingon soldier be killed, a thousand Organians will die. I will have order." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
  Don't trust those who frequently smile. TKW

(TKW 167; cf. TOS "Errand of Mercy"):  Kor harked back to this expression when he said, referring to the Organian Council of Elders, “I don’t trust men who smile too much.”

  "The mere presence of beings like yourselves is intensely painful to us." (unidentified Organian, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons