[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIve'Da'

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Oct 13 06:57:48 PDT 2020

Any time you transliterate between languages, you have to follow the pronunciation rules of the target language. Since certain consonant or vowel combinations are illegal in one language and common in another, transliteration often involves either dropping something or adding something.

You have to decide which sounds closer to the original: {DItroy’} or {DItroyte’}, since the {y} mimics one of the “i” sounds in English, but counts as a consonant in the rules of Klingon phonetics for legal syllables, and Klingon doesn’t allow two vowels to be without an intervening consonant. I guess he might have also considered {DItro’It}, though the {I} is like the eye in “his” while the {y} is like the “e” in “creek”, which is closer to the eye in "Detroit”.

So, I guess he also might have considered {DItroyIt} or {DItroyet}.

Still, given all the options, {DItroy’} sounds closer to “Detroit” than any other legal Klingon pronunciation because {Detroy’} is a two syllable word and all the others are three syllables, and the only way to make “Detroit” three syllables is to HEAVILY aspirate after the “t”, which SuStel was quite proper to point out, doesn’t sound right, unless you are drunk and trying really hard to not slur.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.