[tlhIngan Hol] don't pay the ferryman

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Oct 26 09:13:47 PDT 2020

I guess it depends on your interpretation of the song, but I'm not certain that it's necessary for the plot of the song to specify that it is a ferry as opposed to any other kind of voyage that you are paying for; the key, in my mind, is the idea of paying the person responsible for your safe passage before said goal has been achieved, for fear that they will not deliver on their part of the bargain.

An alternative to {pIn'a'} would be {DeghwI'} - "helmsman". In paq'batlh, for example, qotar is described as the DeghwI' of the Hegh Duj:

Daq SumHa'vo' wab Huj Qoylu'
qa' bIQ Dujvo' wab Huj Qoylu'
DeghwI' ghaH qotar'e'

//loghaD