[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bIS'ub

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:04:24 PDT 2020

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 13:39, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that Pyramus and Thisbe are a pair who talk to each other through a
> wall, I am strongly inclined to believe that {bIS'ub} is some kind of
> transformation on "Thisbe". (The "isb" is basically there in both words.
> One just has to explain why the initial "th" became a {b}.)

In fact, looking at the word as it's written, I'm wondering if it isn't a
transcription error, either by Dr. Okrand or somebody else. Lowercase "t"
could almost be the same as "b" in handwriting, if one writes the crossbar
too short on the left and the loop curves too high on the right. If it had
been *{tIS'ub}, there would probably be no doubt that it's a pun on
"Thisbe".

(Does anyone have a printed copy of HolQeD 8:3 to check?)

--
De'vID