[tlhIngan Hol] Explicit pronouns again

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Oct 13 07:50:06 PDT 2020

On 10/13/2020 10:32 AM, Luis Chaparro Caballero wrote:
> SuStel:
>
>> If you want to stress the jIH, kind of like raising your hand to be noticed, you might say puH Duj vIghaj jIH and say the jIH extra loudly. ("Ooh! Ooh!*I*  have a car!" You're not excluding someone else from having a car. And you'd have to say the jIH loudly. Just saying jIH without stressing it isn't enough.)
> Because if I don't stress the*jIH*  or say it extra loudly, the sentence*puH Duj vIghaj jIH*  would only be an extra clear version of*puH Duj vIghaj*  (if I want to be extra sure people understand me), but it wouldn't make the effect of attracting attention, right?

It attracts attention because you're being extra clear. What it doesn't
do is add focus to the pronoun. It doesn't say "I and nobody else" the
way *jIH'e'* does. If you happen to include an explicit pronoun where
you didn't have to, nobody is going to stop you and ask, "Why did you
emphasize the pronoun like that?" You just said a pronoun. No big deal.

>> The answer to puH Duj ghaj 'Iv could be puH Duj vIghaj, puH Duj vIghaj jIH, or puH Duj vIghaj jIH'e', depending on what you want to emphasize.
> Is it also acceptable if I answer without explicit object?
> *vIghaj*
> *vIghaj jIH*
> *vIghaj jIH'e'*
>
> And what about answering only with a pronoun? Is it allowed in Klingon?
> *jIH*
> *jIH'e'*

Sure. I wasn't trying to list all possible responses, just illustrate
the difference between an elided pronoun, an explicit pronoun, and a
pronoun with *-'e'.*