[tlhIngan Hol] Explicit pronouns again

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 12 11:18:46 PDT 2020

On 10/12/2020 1:41 PM, Luis Chaparro Caballero wrote:
> Suppose you are discussing how you can go somewhere and I want to give you the information that I have a car and I want to help. Is it right if I say: *puH Duj vIghaj*? *puH Duj vIghaj jIH* would only make sense if I want to be extra clear, right?
>
> And if someone asks: *puH Duj ghaj 'Iv?*, which one would be the "normal" or "usual" answer in Klingon? Once again, *vIghaj jIH* would only be used if we want to be very clear or we want to be sure people understand us, right? So maybe *vIghaj* or simply *jIH*?

*puH Duj vIghaj* and *puH Duj vIghaj jIH* are both perfectly acceptable.
You are not forbidden from using an explicit pronoun whenever you want.
If you did it all the time, Klingons would probably think you're
speaking in a funny way, but that's all. If you do it one time for no
reason, I don't think any of them would even notice.

The answer to *puH Duj ghaj 'Iv* could be *puH Duj vIghaj, puH Duj
vIghaj jIH,* or *puH Duj vIghaj jIH'e',* depending on what you want to
emphasize. If you just want to state the fact without any embellishment,
you might say *puH Duj vIghaj.* If you want to stress the *jIH, *kind of
like raising your hand to be noticed, you might say *puH Duj vIghaj jIH*
and say the *jIH* extra loudly. ("Ooh! Ooh! *I* have a car!" You're not
excluding someone else from having a car. And you'd have to say the
*jIH* loudly. Just saying *jIH* without stressing it isn't enough.) If
you want to say that YOU have the car, not somebody else, you'd say *puH
Duj vIghaj jIH'e'.*