[tlhIngan Hol] -lu'wI'

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue May 26 13:35:52 PDT 2020

> But are we talking about an inconsequential subject?

The main reason I could see would be to subvert expectation or convention; you are taking something that is explicitly unmentioned, and mentioning it.

This could be to make the point that something left unmentioned shouldn't be, or to express curiosity about something that is unknown, or to express an extreme lack of interest in the identity of the subject, or any number of other reasons.

> Like Okrand, I can't think of any non-poetic reason why

> the combination of -lu' and -wI' would be of any use.

Oh, I fully agree; all of these suggestions are meant to be regarded as possible poetic usages.

... and the key word there really is "possible". The fact that it goes against expectations suggests that it would probably be highly irregular in its usage.

It's the sort of thing you'd submit to your editor with an annotation that it should be left as is.

> Qang gheSlu'chugh, wo' che' gheSwI'.
> If one assumes the duties of chancellor, the duty-assumer

> rules the empire. I see no reason how gheSlu'wI' indefinite

> duty-assumer would improve this.

In this case, the reason could perhaps be to trivialize the person assuming office, or to highlight their indeterminate nature. Perhaps you consider the role of chancellor to be so set in routine that it doesn't matter who is next in line for the position. Alternatively, you might wish to highlight the generality of your statements by actively de-specifying the identity of the gheSlu'wI'.

//loghaD