[tlhIngan Hol] -lu'wI'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 26 12:51:42 PDT 2020

On 5/26/2020 3:39 PM, Felix Malmenbeck wrote:

> I could perhaps imagine a case where you wish to imply that the
> subject is inconsequential, or perhaps perceived as inconsequential by
> themselves or others.

But are we talking about an inconsequential subject? *-lu'* expresses an
indefinite subject, not an inconsequential one. It might be that the
subject isn't expressed definitely because it is inconsequential, but it
might also be because the subject is just unknown or unclear, or that
the /expression/ of the subject is inconsequential, even if the subject
itself isn't inconsequential.

*Qang gheSlu'chugh, wo' che'lu'.*
/If one assumes the duties of chancellor, one rules the Empire./

> For example, you could start the poem off talking about why
> {Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam}, and then finish off by talking about the
> {Heghlu'wI'}. This could be done in support of the maxim (by
> highlighting the indeterminate identity of the {Heghlu'wI'}) or in
> order to satirize it (by implying that the {Heghlu'wI'} is commonly
> overlooked).

Except for deliberately paralleling the syntax of the proverb (which
once might try to do in poetry), I can't see any reason why you wouldn't
just refer to the *HeghwI'*/one who dies./ Like Okrand, I can't think of
any non-poetic reason why the combination of *-lu'* and *-wI'* would be
of any use.

*Qang gheSlu'chugh, wo' che' gheSwI'.
*/If one assumes the duties of chancellor, the duty-assumer rules the
empire./ I see no reason how *gheSlu'wI'*/indefinite duty-assumer/ would
improve this.