[tlhIngan Hol] {neH} and {-bogh}ed nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 4 06:15:09 PST 2020

On 3/4/2020 8:47 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SuStel:
> > qama''e' qIppu'bogh neH
> > the prisoner(s) whom he/she/it(/they)
> > merely hit
> > only the prisoner(s) whom
> > he/she/it(/they) hit
>
> Couldn't this mean too "the prisoner who has been hit by only
> he/she/they/it" ? i.e. can't the {neH} be interpreted as acting on the
> elided subject ?

No. You have to have a word there to put *neH* after it.

> SuStel:
> > qama'e' qIppu'bogh neH ghaH
> > only the prisoner whom he/she hit
> > the prisoner whom he/she merely hit
>
> If instead of the {ghaH} we had as a subject not a pronoun, but a
> noun, would this change anything ?
>
> For example would the following be correct ?
>
> Qel'e' qIpta'bogh neH la'
> only the doctor who has been hit by the commander
> the doctor who has been merely hit by the commander
>
> Perhaps it's a silly question, but something confuses me in the
> sentences where the subject is a pronoun.

When a noun is part of a relative clause, you can't apply *neH* to only
part of the relative clause. You can apply *neH* to just one noun in the
relative clause, but not one noun and the verb if there is another noun
in the clause. It's all or nothing.

In *Qel'e' qIpta'bogh la',* the relative clause is the whole thing, not
just *Qel'e' qIpta'bogh.* If you've got *Qel'e' qIpta'bogh la',* you
can't apply a *neH* only to the *Qel'e' qIpta'bogh* part, because *la'*
is part of the clause.

But if you have the relative clause *Qel'e' qIpta'bogh,* you CAN apply a
*neH* to it, because that's the entire relative clause.

*Qel'e' qIpta'bogh neH la'* can only mean /the doctor whom the commander
merely hit./ The *neH* cannot apply to the relative clause *Qel'e'
qIpta'bogh,* because that relative clause does not appear here; the
clause is all of *Qel'e' qIpta'bogh la'.* A *neH* could apply to the
*Qel'e',* the *qIpta'bogh,* the *la',* or the *Qel'e' qIpta'bogh la',*
but not just PART of the relative clause.

If you want /only the doctor whom the commander hit,/ it's *Qel'e' neH
qIpta'bogh la'.*