[tlhIngan Hol] {moch} in noun-noun constructions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 18 07:56:49 PDT 2020

On 3/18/2020 10:42 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> We have the noun {moch} which means "(the) superior".
>
> I wonder, whether we could use it in noun-noun constructions as {moch
> Qelpu'}/{moch maqleghpu'}, to say things like "the superior
> doctors"/"the superior priests", i.e. the doctors/priests who are of
> higher rank.
>
> The problem is, that reading {moch Qelpu'}, I understand {the doctors
> of the superior}, whatever the @!#! this means..

Don't confuse the translation /Y of the X/ with a more genitive meaning
where Y is narrowed to the sense of X.

*moch Qel. *It's a doctor. What sort of doctor? A higher-rank doctor.

I wouldn't expect *moch* to participate much in noun-noun constructions
like this. It would typically stand alone or be the head noun. *ja'chuq
Qel mochDaj je*/The doctor and his/her superior confer./ *lagh ra' Sogh
mochDaj*/The ensign is ordered by his lieutenant superior./