[tlhIngan Hol] Sound of o

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Jun 28 07:20:40 PDT 2020

On 6/28/2020 9:49 AM, De'vID wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 at 08:44, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de
> <mailto:levinius at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Listen to the sounds on the Klingon CD. When Okrand speaks a syllable
>     like {bom} it rhymes more "bomb" than it does with "bo-u-m" or "bone".
>     {bot} does not rhyme with "boat".
>

> I (re-)listened to Conversational Klingon, and when Okrand says
> {lenHom} (near the end of the second track called "Klingon cursing"),
> it sounds to me like it does rhyme with "home" or "bone". He says
> something like "len-home" (but with a {H}).

I find it difficult to distinguish between [o] and [oʊ]. The best clue
to the presence of [oʊ] is that the vowel is long. Okrand uses a number
of *o* vowels in /Conversational/ and /Power Klingon./ Some of them are
short, as in *SoH.* Some of them are long, as in *lenHom.* Some of them
change: when he says *toDSaH,* he pronounces a short vowel; when he says
the first syllable of that in isolation, *toD,* he uses a long vowel.