[tlhIngan Hol] neH before the neH of a sao

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 06:09:34 PDT 2020

jevreH:
> Wouldn’t <vIghro’ tIQ wIjon neH [‘e’] DaneH>
> be “you want that we just capture the/a ancient cat(s)”?

jevreH, indeed you're right. It would actually mean "you want that we
merely capture the ancient cat"; it would mean that "you want that we
merely capture it, and not lets say execute it too". I'd totally
forgotten about this possibility..

Sa'pIr:
> To add to the original question: we should be asking if before we ask
> why. Are we specifically prohibited from saying {wIjon neH DaneH}? And
> if we're not supposed to say this, is it actually a rule or just a
> stylistic preference?

I don't think there's any rule disallowing it. But indeed, as jevreH
suggested, it would probably mean "you want that we merely capture the
ancient cat". Now, whether it could mean too "you only want that we
capture the ancient cat", I wish I knew..

~ qa'yIn