[tlhIngan Hol] neH before the neH of a sao

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Jun 10 07:04:30 PDT 2020

Given that the prefix is {wI-} and not {DI-}, we know that we are speaking of a single cat.

It is confusing that English uses “only” sometimes to mean “exclusively”, and other times to mean “merely”, and Okrand chose to use the word “only” instead of sticking to the more specific “exclusively” or “merely”. It means that we can’t be sure whether the canon examples intentionally or accidentally suggest different meaning depending on whether it follows nouns or verbs.

SuStel appropriately assumes it was intentional, since there are apparently no contradictory examples in canon to suggest otherwise, leaving us with a little extra work to do if we want to convey the meaning we don’t have an example for in canon.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.