[tlhIngan Hol] Sound of o

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Jun 28 11:53:48 PDT 2020

Am 28.06.2020 um 15:49 schrieb De'vID:
> I (re-)listened to Conversational Klingon, and when Okrand says {lenHom}
> (near the end of the second track called "Klingon cursing"), it sounds
> to me like it does rhyme with "home" or "bone". He says something like
> "len-home" (but with a {H}).

As I said before, it's very difficult to decribe sounds using words. In
addition, the pronunciation of English words even differs a lot
depending on the where the speaker lives. Wikipedia even lists different
ways of English pronunciation.

Does {lenHom} rhyme with "home"? Maybe it does, depending on how you say
"home". I wouldn't argue with that. Websters webpage does it perfectly
like Klingon {Hom}: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/home

But if a Klingon speaker from Great Britain would came to me saying
{Hom} as [xəʊm], I think I would definitely want to correct them.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"