[tlhIngan Hol] Sound of o

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Jun 28 11:44:11 PDT 2020

First Id' like to comment something general about the Klingon Language
Wiki, from the point of its admin:
- The Klingon wiki is set up just like Wikipedia. This means that anyone
can make changes and additions wherever needed.
- Instead of changing, there is also the possibility to set a mark for
questionalbe statements using the Tag %CN% meaning "citation needed".
- Questions and suggestions can also be added to the discussion section
of any page.

Reagarding the note on the letter {o}, I would agree that those lines in
there  were not absolutely accurate. But on the other hand, they were
not so wrong either, the perfect answer was somewhere in between.
Regarding the comments of the past days and also some research on other
places, it seems like we do agree that at least in the middle of a
syllable that ends on a consonant, the letter [o] is not pronounced as a
diphthong, or at least should not be.

I also noticed that it's really not so easy to set this 100% accurate.
Okrand speaks the [o] in many cases as an open vowel o, and oter cases
as a closed vowel o. In addition, De'vID just piointed out that on PK he
MO even speaks the o in {lenHom} as a diphthong. (although I don't hear
that; he surely did not say [leng-houm])

We all know that TKD was written for the layman, and that it's not
perfectly complete. The same counts for the Klingon wiki, which never
claimed to be perfect. It's collection of rules, but also opinions and
obervations which should help beginners and experts to find the best way
to speak the language. And for a beginner, it is very important to know
NOT to say [tlhIngan Houl]. That would create a horrible English accent.
And that's the only hing phrase in the Wiki was intended for.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"